Summer is unofficially here with the kickoff of Memorial Day weekend, and that means three months full of sun, heat, and allergy triggers. Most people might think spring and fall are “allergy seasons,” but allergies can be triggered all year round. During the summer months, molds, and dust can continue to cause allergy symptoms that can bring allergy sufferers misery during the summer months. If your allergies worsen during summer, these at home allergy and sinus tips might help keep your symptoms under control.
- Practicing good hygiene – Make sure to shower before bed, wash pollen out of your hair and off your skin after being outside.
- Using a humidifier – Keeps your nasal passages clear of mucus. Having clear nasal passages means that your body has an easier time purging any allergens you are exposed to on a day-to-day basis.
- Avoiding irritants – Certain foods & times of the day.
- Rinsing with warm salt water or a saline solution to keep sinuses clean.
- Staying hydrated – Drink ample water and eat foods that are loaded with water, such as fruits and veggies. Staying hydrated helps to thin secretions, making them easier to clear. It also helps your mucus membranes stayed hydrated, reducing that dry, scratchy feeling.
Over-the-counter treatments, such as antihistamines and nasal steroid sprays, can ease symptoms, but if these are not doing the trick you may need to see an allergist. Here at the Ear, Nose and Throat Insititute, we can get you on the road to relief. We perform an allergy skin test that can pinpoint the cause of your allergies. Immunotherapy, commonly known as allergy shots, is a program that increases immunity to certain allergens that trigger allergy symptoms. While increasing immunity, it decreases your sensitivity to the substances that trigger your allergy symptoms when you are exposed to them. Immunotherapy by sublingual drops commonly referred to as allergy drops is an individually tailored alternative program designed to desensitize you to those substances to which you are allergic.
Summer is busy, we know you do not have time to be at the doctors 3 times a week, so we made it easier for you to feel better while keeping your summer schedule. The best part is, once you have been tested, you can do this in the comfort of your own home! Make an appointment today if you want to enjoy your summer allergy-free!